The 20 best ways to reuse or upcycle your old yoga or fitness mat
There comes a time when your trusty old yoga or fitness mat has neared its end of life. It’s been there for you through many a downward dog or burpee, but alas, it’s time for a new one. Since most yoga mats currently on the market are made from Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC), which is a non recyclable substance, throwing away your yoga mat for it to end up in landfill is not exactly a sustainable or eco friendly way of disposal. The best way to prevent this is to buy an eco friendly yoga mat to begin with, such as the Terra Active Eco Yoga Mats. However, if you own a PVC yoga mat, the best and most sustainable thing you can do is to make the most of it and reuse, upcycle or repurpose it.
Here are 20 great ideas for what you can do with an old yoga mat:
- Cut out easy to clean placemats or coasters.
- Use as anti-slip liner for drawers and cupboards.
- Use as knee pads or mat for gardening.
- Donate to a homeless shelters for use as a sleeping pad.
- Donate to an animal rescue shelter, they can use your mat to pad crates.
- Donate to nursing homes to use as an anti-slip mat for next to the bed.
- Cut up your mat to create a mouse pad.
- Use as sleeping pad for camping.
- Use on the beach to lie on more comfortably than a towel.
- Use to sit on for picknicks, no more wet backside when sitting on the grass!
- Place on your back seat to prevent pets from scratching up your car interior.
- Cut out shapes, letters or numbers using cookie cutters for kids to play with.
- Cut out shapes using cookie cutters to use as Christmas ornaments.
- Use under rugs to prevent slipping.
- Use as pad in the trunk of your car to prevent groceries from slipping.
- Cut into smaller pieces to use as grip pads to open jars.
- Use as playing mat for kids to prevent a mess on your floor.
- Cut into smaller pieces and wrap around sharp corners and edges to child-proof your home.
- Use in outdoor playing areas such as under swings or at the bottom of a slide for more comfortable landings.
- Cut into strips and to plug drafty areas such as windows and doors.
These are just some ways to reuse or upcycle your old yoga or fitness mat. Do you have any other fun ideas? We’d love to hear them!
Ready to buy a new yoga mat? Read our blog post on how you can choose the right eco friendly yoga mat.